Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Little Mermaid by Sonia W. Black

The Little Mermaid by Sonia W. BlackBook Type: Children's Literature
Author: Sonia W. Black
Pages: N/A 

Summary(scholastic.com):
Hans Christian Andersen's tale of a mermaid princess who dreams of becoming human in order to marry the man she loves is told in this easy reader adaptation featuring Lanza's elegant watercolor illustrations.

My Review:
I had to take this pic to show u guys!
Isnt she gorgeous?
As soon as I picked this up from the library, I was entranced by the beauty of the cover; the mermaid is so beautiful! As soon as you open the first page, the mermaid illustrations flow just like the current, and I loved the softness of the watercolor. This book also kept all the original details, but there was one detail I didn't understand. In the original Hans Christian Anderson story, the mermaids only get to wear oyster shells when they turn 15, to show that they are adults and also to show their status. I don't really understand why The Little Mermaid is the only one wearing oyster shells, especially since she is the youngest. Overall, this is a great version for kids learning to reads and for them to also learn a great fairytale. I give this book (*****) 5 stars. 
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment