Tuesday, May 27, 2014

(12) The Mermaid and the Shoe by K.G. Campbell

The Mermaid and the Shoe by K.G. CampbellBook Type: Children's Literature
Author: K.G. Campbell
Pages: 32

Summary(goodreads.com):
Each of King Neptune's 50 mermaid daughters boasts a special talent, except for little Minnow, who seems to be good only?at asking questions. When she finds a strange object, Minnow follows her questions to a wondrous place and finds answers, including the answer to the most important question of all: Who am I? A gorgeously illustrated story about finding one's purpose.

My Review:
When I first picked this book up from the library, I was startled by the cover. It's dark colors give off a depressing vibe, but I was wrong! This children's book is totally original and brilliantly written. I instantly fell in love with Minnow, the curious little mermaid who is teased for wanting to learn about her surroundings. Minnow seems to be the youngest mermaid, and she is trying to find her place amongst her 50 sisters! I kept saying to myself, "poor Minnow." She is so smart and curious, which causes her to be teased and even called useless for it. I can see young girls who are remarkably smart and desire to learn have a connection with this book, especially young mer-children who excel past their age and are teased for it.
In addition to the main character who captured my heart, I also loved the artwork, which reminded me of the book, The Melancholic Mermaid. The mermaids are beautifully detailed and gorgeous! There is also this little pet seahorse that hangs around Minnow, who also captured my attention because he's adorable. The way the story is written can be enjoyed by adults and children alike. It is beautifully written, and I definitely recommend checking this out. I give this book (*****) 5 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment