Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pichi Pichi Pitch Mermaid Melody Volume #1 by Pink Hanamori and Michiko Yokote

Pichi Pichi Pitch Mermaid Melody Volume #1 by Pink Hanamori and Michiko YokoteBook Type: YA Manga
Author(s): Pink Hanamori and Michiko Yokote
Pages: 192

Summary(amazon.com):
Lucia is the new girl at school. She and her sister run a public bath that’s all the rage. When Lucia meets a terrific-looking surfer boy, there’s just one little problem: Lucia is a mermaid–not just any mermaid, but a princess on an important mission to save the seven seas from an evil force bent on taking control of the marine world. Such a responsibility doesn’t leave much time for romance. But Lucia vows to protect her world and win the heart of handsome Kaito. Pichi Pichi Pitch is an extremely popular anime in Japan. Now it’s the newest craze in the world of magical-girl manga!



My Review: 
I had never read a manga graphic novel, but I was interested, especially since it had mermaids! Manga is extremely popular, especially here in the U.S. but I don't think these books are for me. What really confused me, and took a while to understand, was that you have to read it from right to left. I know this is how they read in many different countries but when I first began the book, I said, "Huh?" I also find that graphic novels can be a bit distracting, especially with the very emotionally-charged drawings. It's also a bit weird to me that a 13-year old girl is supposed to look hot in a bikini....
No thanks! And apparently throughout the series there are sex scenes, yet the rating is 13 +? I believe the only thing I liked about this book was Lucia. She is friendly, curious and reminds me of myself when she is around her crush, Kaito. She gets really nervous and it's so cute! What I also like about manga is that you can read them in about an hour, if you consider yourself a fast reader. Sorry guys. Manga just isn't my style. I give this book (**) 2 stars. I know there is also a TV show of the book series, so maybe I will like that more. 
However, if you do find manga and mermaids interesting, then give this a try!
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment