Friday, June 8, 2012

Splash by Ian Don

Splash by Ian Don
Book Type: Novel based off of a movie
Author: Ian Don
Pages 141

Summary(imdb.com):
Allen Bauer is rescued from drowning as a young boy off Cape Cod by a young mermaid. Years later he returns to the same location, and once again manages to fall into the sea, and is rescued once more by the mermaid (Allen isn't sure what he's seen and what he's imagined). The mermaid decides to search for Allen in New York, sprouting legs when her tail dries. On finding Allen, they fall in love, but she has a secret, which will no longer be a secret if she gets her legs wet.. 

My Review:
I have to say that I was disappointed after reading this book, as it had some unusual differences from the movie. First, what annoyed me was Madison's tail. It was described as having silver scales with hints of rainbow when they hit the light, but meanwhile in the movie, her tail is bright orange with hints of yellow. Something I also didn't understand was Madison's transformation in the bathtub scene. As a viewer of this movie, we are awestruck at the transformation, but Don made it seem as if it felt sexually pleasing to Madison when she transformed, letting out little moans and gasps of pleasure and that sort of thing. Second, Madison was very sexual in this book. Yes, I understand there are scenes of implied love making in the movie, but it seems in the book that she is constantly sexually aroused by Allen, which seemed stupid to me since she is more of a loving and caring character in the movie. Ian Don never really bothers to explore Madison's character traits, but instead constantly describes how sexually beautiful she is. Not to mention, Don describes her breasts in many instances at odd times in scenes that were supposed to have more of a romantic appeal than sexual. Even though this book had many things I did not like, I did enjoy the overall closeness of it to the movie. Don still kept the funny lines such as "What a week I'm having!" But overall, this book had too much sexual scenes that weren't in the movie, and his over mentioning of Madison's breasts irritated me. If your going to write a book that's supposed to be like the movie, do it right. I give this book (**) 2 stars.
PS: I reccomend seeing the movie first. You can find it anywhere these days. Here is a cheesy little trailor I found, but the movie is just perfect ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK4KSZdBr4
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment