Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Girl's Guide To Mermaids by Sheri A Johnson

The Girls Guide To Mermaids: Everything Alluring About These Mythical Beauties by Sheri A Johnson
Book Type: Mermaid Encyclopedia/ Children's Encyclopedia
Author: Sheri A Johnson
Pages: 31

Summary(google books):
Are mermaids sweet sea creatures or scary sirens? Here's your chance to read all about mermaid history, real life mermaids, and the mythical merpeople from pop culture. Then you can decide for yourself.

My Review:
I was slightly disappointed with this book. I was expecting a bit more based on the beautiful cover, or to at least learn something new about mermaid folklore. This book is mostly aimed at young girls or children. I was not happy when I saw this book was titled "The Girls Guide" since I believe young boys or men can like mermaids as well. What I didn't like about this book is that it was just too basic. There weren't any facts in here that you couldn't find anywhere else. However, that being said, I did like that this book had some recent stuff about the mermaid world, and mentions topics such as Hannah Fraser, who is a notorious mermaid performer. I also like how at the end of this book there is a chapter about mermaids being in the media. This chapter has books I have reviewed, but the movies in this book are not that great, and only feature mermaids for a brief scene, except Aquamarine, which was mentioned on the list. This book also features what mermaids are thought to be, as well as some popular some popular folk tales such as  Undine. Overall, I give this book between (**-***) 2-3 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment