Friday, June 22, 2012

The Seal Mother by Mordicai Gerstein

The Seal Mother by Mordicai Gerstein
Book Type: Children's Literature

Author: Mordicai Gerstein
Pages: 32

Summary(goodreads.com):
A seal sheds her skin and becomes a beautiful woman, but even after marrying and bearing a son she longs to return to her seal family in the sea.


My Review:
The Seal Mother is a beautiful children’s story about the legend of the selkie, only this is a slight deviation. I must say, this is another beautifully written children’s book. Selkies are one of my favorite mermaid-type creatures to read about, even if it is a children’s story.  My favorite part about this book is the bond between the mother seal and her child. Unlike the more traditional legend of the selkie, The Seal Mother still sees her son throughout his life, even when he gets to be an older man. As I have mentioned in previous posts about children’s books, I always believe they must have great illustrations, and The Seal Mother definitely does! There is a uniqueness to the way the sea is painted, and the selkies/ seals are drawn and colored beautifully. Overall, this story, combined with its captivating illustrations is a great story to read as an adult or to read to your children as a bedtime story. I give this book (*****) 5 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment