Thursday, June 7, 2012

Seal Song by Andrea Spalding and Pascal Milelli

Seal Song by Andrea Spalding and Pascal Milelli
Book Type: Children's Literature
Author: Andrea Spalding and Pascal Milelli
Pages:32

Summary(goodreads.com):
Finn loves to swim with the seals in a secret cove. He arrives at the cove one day and rescues a young seal tangled in netting. Finn wishes the seal could live on land. That night the seals sing. "No good comes from seal songs," says Finn's father. When Sheila, a mysterious girl no one has ever seen before, appears on the cannery docks, the fisher folk are uneasy. They believe the newcomer is a magical selkie, a shape changer.

My Review:

This book is similar to Selkie by Gillian McClure, with slight differences in the plot, but this story is about a selkie who is rescued and then returns the favor to her human companion. Also, even though this book is a children’s book, it bored me slightly, and the plot didn’t have too much depth to it. The language in this book was not too juvenile, so I believe adults can enjoy this story as well. It was lightly entertaining, and I love books about selkies, whether it’s a childrens book or a novel. The artwork in this book had a lot of texture to it, and was at times, abstract, yet the images were very vivid and colorful. Personally, I was not a big fan of the artwork since I do not like abstract art, but they were still aesthetically beautiful. I recommend this book for children and adults alike to share and enjoy. I give this book (***) 3 stars
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment