Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Daughter Of The Sea by Berlie Doherty

Daughter Of The Sea by Berlie Doherty
Book Type: Novel
Author: Berlie Doherty
Pages: 115

Summary(goodreads.com):
Gioga is a gift from the sea to the childless Jannet and Munroe--but only a temporary one. The couple treat Gioga as if she were of their own flesh and blood, not understanding that they would need to let her go before long. When it comes time to return their daughter to her rightful home, desperation sets in. No amount of toil and bloodshed, however, will distract Gioga from the longing she feels to return. . . .

My Review:
Selkies are one of my favorite sea creatures, as well as my favorite type of mermaid. I always love to read about selkies, whether it is a children's book or a novel, such as this one, and have plenty of books on selkies on this blog. I am completely in love with this captivating story! Every time I picked this up to read it, even if I read a few pages, I was absolutely captured by the magic of this story. What I mostly love about this book is the selkies are not described very much, and there is an element of mystery to them. This book really makes you want to keep turning the pages to find out what Gioga's fate is. Also, I love the Celtic language in this book. I felt like I was taken to the Irish or Scottish shores. This is also a quick and fun read, and if you are a fast reader, you can finish this in a few days. It is also a great beach read! Anyone who loves selkies will absolutely love to add this to their mermaid library. I give this book (*****) 5 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment