Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Selkie Girl by Susan Cooper

The Selkie Girl by Susan Cooper
Book Type: Children's Literature/ picture book
Author: Susan Cooper
Pages:32

Summary(goodreads.com):
A retelling of the legend from British coasts and islands in which a man falls in love with a beautiful seal girl and forces her to live on land and be his bride.

My Review:
As I have mentioned in previous blogs, I believe that just because a book is meant for a child, doesn't mean an adult can't read it! This children's book tells of the legend of the selkie and her sisters, and the fair-haired selkie, who is shown on the cover, is captured by a fisherman. This book really captures what the selkie legend is all about, such as the origin of the tale and certain aspects, like if a selkie's pelt is captured, they cannot return to the sea. This book was not written in a juvenile style in my opinion. The only thing I would change about this book is the artwork. It is kind of cheap-looking, and has a sketch-like, concept art look. However, this did not push me away from loving the tale written on these pages, and I am definitely going to add this to my collection, since selkies are my favorite type of mermaid, and legend as well. I loved this book, and I recommend this to people who love selkies, or as a good bedtime story to share with your children! I give this book (*****) 5 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment