Monday, May 14, 2012

Indigo by Alice Hoffman

Indigo by Alice Hoffman
Book type: novel/ short story
Author: Alice Hoffman
Pages: 84

Summary(goodreads.com):
Oak Grove is a dry, dusty town haunted by the memories of a past flood. Everyone dreads water--everyone except two brothers, Trevor and Eli McGill. Nicknamed Trout and Eel for their darting quickness and the thin webbing between their fingers and toes, the boys dream of the farthest seas and of a mysterious past they only half remember. In helping them reach their hearts' desire, Martha Glimmer, the boys' fierce and loyal friend, is intent on running away from memories of her old life--before her mother died, before her father lost himself in grief, before her heart was broken. Little do Martha, Trout, and Eel know that running away will leave them on a journey back to their own true natures.

My Review: 
This is part of the Water Tales series which includes Indigo and Aquamarine, both written by Alice Hoffman. I really enjoyed both stories, even though they were short. When I was younger, I read Indigo, but I never really appreciated it as much as I do now. I love Indigo's plot, because the story is based on finding who you are deep down, and where your home is. The fact is, we cannot hide our true natures, whether we have fins or legs! Trout and Eel, two of the main characters, found that they belonged to the sea, despite what there adopted parents told them. In many cases, the sea, as well as water itself, is an element of truth and serenity.  Finding who you are can be something that is locked up for many years, but I truly believe if you read Indigo, you will find your fins. I recommend this book to teenagers and adults alike. This is also a good read if you are going to the beach! I give this book (****) 4 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment