Sunday, May 13, 2012

Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman

Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman
Book Type: Novel/Short Story
Author: Alice Hoffman
Pages: 112

Summary (goodreads.com): 
In this lyrical, poignant tale, two best friends spending their last summer together at a deserted beach club discover a beautiful, brokenhearted mermaid stranded in the swimming pool. How they resolve her search for love and thus save her life teaches the girls that friendship is forever, and that magic can be found in the most unexpected places

My Review: 
I have loved this book since I was in about third or fourth grade. I have loved mermaids since I was a child, so this has been a classic favorite to me for a very long time. Although this book is short, it is a very sweet and magical tale of love and friendship. That might sound corny, but it's the truth. It was not sappy, nor was it poorly written like I keep seeing on other websites. Pages do not create the story. It is what's on the pages that counts.   The characters really made this story come alive. The friendship between Claire and Hailey was so sister-like and beautiful. There is also Raymond, the dreamy lifeguard who is the main focal point of the mermaid's heart. And then there is Aquamarine, who is one of my favorite characters of all mermaid books. She is quirky, cranky, demanding and stubborn, but she has a big heart deep down. For lovers of mermaid books, this is definitely something you want to pick up, especially since the summer is coming. If you are a fast reader, you can probably read this in a day or two. I give this book (*****) 5 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie
PS> I realize that Aquamarine has become a movie, but it is TOTALLY different from the book in every way, shape and form. Please read the book before you watch the movie!! I cannot emphasize this enough!!
I must admit, I adore her tail! I wish I had one just like it :(

No comments:

Post a Comment