Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Merman by Dick King-Smith (5)

The Merman by Dick King-SmithBook Type: Children's Literature
Author: Dick King-Smith
Pages: 112

Summary(amazon.com):
While vacationing in Scotland, Zeta meets a rather unusual fellow. He's a terrific swimmer. He chats with seals. And he has a fish tail. Marinus is a merman -- definitely not your average summer friend. Who else could teach Zeta everything from swimming to astronomy to French? Everything's an adventure when Marinus is around, and as the summer ends, Zeta knows she'll miss her new friend terribly.
Luckily, Marinus has one last surprise in store for her -- one that will last a lifetime. . .
.

My Review:
I had read one of Dick King-Smith's books before tittled "The Waterhorse"(I will be making a blog on sea monsters soon too!) and I absolutely adored it. Since I first picked up this book last night and began reading it, I just couldn't put it down. It was very charming and I loved the teacher-student relationship that Zeta and Marinus had, and how he taught and showed her so many things that enhanced her knowledge. I also loved that the author chose a merman instead of a mermaid, since most stories featuring a female human almost always has a mermaid. It was a different element that I had never seen before. What I liked most about this book was that it was simple and had a very nice plot, but the ending was bittersweet. I give this book (*****) 5 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment