Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Forbidden Sea by Sheila A. Nielson (7)

The Forbidden Sea by Sheila A. Nielson
Book Type: Novel
Author: Sheila A. Nielson
Pages: 296

Summary(amazon.com):
A mermaid haunts Adrianne's dreams . . . is she coming to warn her, save her, or drag her down into the depths of the briny sea forever?

When Adrianne comes face-to-face with the mermaid of Windwaithe Island, of whom she has heard terrible stories all her life, she is convinced the mermaid means to take her younger sister. Adrianne, fierce-willed and courageous, is determined to protect her sister from the mermaid, and her family from starvation. However, the mermaid continues to haunt Adrianne in her dreams and with her song.


My Review:
I have found that this book is listed on many "have-to-read" book lists, but I was disappointed when reading this. When I first began reading this, I was curious to see how the interaction between Adrianne and the mermaid would continue. However, the mermaid does not seem to appear again until the end of the novel. The majority of the novel was learning how horrible Adrianne's life is, how she is verbally abused by her aunt, how her sister gets her way, and how the boy she loves doesn't respond to her feelings. Throughout the book I was left searching for the mermaid, but she seemed to be a side character to me. What I also did not enjoy about this book was the way the mermaids were described. They almost reminded me of elf-like woodland creatures, which is not how I pictured mermaids to be. All of this being said, I think the storyline was lovely, and the ending is a bit shocking! I give this book (***-****) between 3 and 4 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment