Friday, May 17, 2013

The Mermaid's Three Wisdoms by Jane Yolen


The Mermaid's Three WisdomsBook Type: Novel
Author: Jane Yolen
Pages: 112

Summary(amazon.com):
A mermaid who cannot speak is banished from her undersea home and sent to live on land as a human where she is found by a 12-year-old girl with a hearing impairment.

My Review:

When I had first picked up this book and began reading it, I thought it was terrible and I actually stopped and returned it to the library. When I came upon the chance to read it and try it again, I gave in. I thought this book was a bit slow at first, and I found the main character Jess, to be quite annoying and a bit of a brat, and it has nothing to do with the fact that she has a hearing impairment. For me, her personality bothered me because everything had to be her way, and she got jealous quite a bit for a young girl. However, I thought the story picked up towards the middle and ended beautifully. I love stories that end with mysteries at the end of them, and that is what happened at the end of the book. Another comment I must add is that for a book written marvelously, the addition of illustrations was unnecessary  and actually took away from the story. I actually found them to be plain as well. Overall I give this book (***) 3 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment