Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Little Mermaid by Susan Blackaby

The Little Mermaid by Susan BlackabyBook Type: Children's Literature
Author: Susan Blackaby
Pages: 32

Summary(amazon.com):

A little sea princess, longing to be human, trades her mermaid's tail for legs, hoping to win the love of a prince and earn an immortal soul for herself.

My Review:
When I first picked this book up from the library, I thought, "Oh no. This is going to be terrible!" However, I learned once again not to judge a book by its cover. This book is a retelling of The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson, but it is simplified for children learning to read. Oddly, the illustrations matched the simplicity of the story and got the message across easily enough for children to understand. The only bad comment I do have is since the text is very simplified and large, I can only guess that adult mermaids wont enjoy this as much as smaller children. This version is perfect for little mers to read on their own. I give this book (****) 4 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment