Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Little Mermaid by Rachel Isadora

The Little Mermaid by Rachel Isadora
book type: Childrens literature
author: Rachel Isadora
pages: 32

Summary(amazon.com):
Once there was a little mermaid who fell in love with a human boy . . . The story may be familiar, but Lisbeth Zwerger's art makes this fairytale seem brand-new. This Jubilee edition, celebrating 200 years of Hans Christian Andersen, is superbly illustrated in Zwerger's signature style. Known for her popular and award-winning editions of classics such as The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland, Zwerger is herself the recipient of the Hans Christian Andersen Medal for lasting contributions to children's literature. The Little Mermaid is sure to win her new fans, and to delight her old ones. The text is an all-new translation by Anthea Bell, and includes many lovely and poignant details that may be new to even those who think they know the little mermaid's story well.

My Review:
I must say, this has become one of my favorite versions of this classic tale. I have read the original, and I have read shorter versions as well as other children's versions such as this one, but the art in this book really transforms the story. I have read quite a few picture books lately, but the images in this are absolutely beautiful and life like! For those of you who have read the original "The Little Mermaid" and found that you did not enjoy it, I recommend giving this version a try. It will surely change your mind. This book is a must read, and will surely touch your heart. If you think this will be like the Disney version, well, think again. Although the ending to this book is quite tragic, it's still a classic favorite mermaid story. I am going to add this to my personal mermaid book collection. I give this book (*****) 5 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment