Sunday, July 29, 2012

Mermaid Sister by Mary Ann Fraser

Mermaid Sister by Mary Ann Fraser
Book Type: Children's Literature
Author: Mary Ann Fraser
Pages: 32

Summary(amazon.com):

Shelly is tired of her brother, Gordy. She’d much prefer a sister. So when Coral catches a wave to shore, they are instant friends, even if one of them has flippers instead of feet. They dance and play and eat peanut butter and jellyfish sandwiches. It’s great having a mermaid sister!
But when Shelly and Coral get in their first fight, Shelly wonders if Coral might be happier back at sea. Life with a sister can have its ups and downs, but it’s nothing another day at the beach can’t fix.

My Review:

I love the concept of this book, and there is a very unique moral to this story that I have not seen in other books. Mermaid Sister teaches that you may have differences with your brother or sister, but in the end, they're still your family. Sisters don’t always have to be related. A sister can be a best friend that you have a close relationship with. But no matter who you consider your sister, this book teaches that we all have our differences that we must accept. I think this is a very important book for children who are having sibling problems. In addition, there is also very simple, yet sweet artwork throughout the pages of this book. I loved watching Coral the mermaid live in Shelly’s home. Its very funny to see how Shelly has to get used to the changes! I think one problem adult readers will have with this book is that the story is very simple and short because it is aimed at younger readers. However, I plan on adding this to my merlibrary. I give this book (****) 4 stars.

-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment