Sunday, July 29, 2012

Mermaids: A Magical Guide to the Underwater Realm by Claire Hawcock

Book Type: children's book
Author: Claire Hawcock
Pages: 28

Summary(amazon.com):
Deep down, at the very bottom of the sea, there's a magical underwater world filled with secrets, mysteries and surprises. That's where the mermaids live, singing sweetly in their enchanted voices. And guess what? These beautiful creatures are inviting children to come and visit them! This book is their ticket, and every stunning spread reveals an amazing new aspect of mermaid life. It's guaranteed to capture young imaginations.

My Review:

Unfortunately, I did not really enjoy reading this book. I usually don’t judge a book by it’s cover, but I knew when I picked this up from the library that it was a very girly, magical and princessey type of book, and that’s exactly what it was. The information in this book was too frilly, and it reminded me a lot of the Barbie Mermaidia movie. Also, the drawings had too much going on, some hand drawn and I believe there was some computer art as well. I just don’t enjoy mermaid books that have too much girly magic, but that is just a preference. However, what I did enjoy about this book was that it had pop-ups and pull outs, and it was fun to read the little secrets within them. There was also a few mermaid fables, the explanation of the feejee mermaid as well as the original legend of the mermaid. If you, my readers, are interested in books such as this, I say give it a try. But it was too much in my opinion. If you have a little girl, I think she will enjoy reading this, however, I don’t think adults will enjoy the Mermaidia type magic in these pages. I give this book (**) 2 stars.

-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment