Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Little Mermaid And Other Fishy Tales by Jane Ray

Book Type: Story Collection
Author: Jane Ray
Pages: 176

Summary(goodreads.com):
The sea is full of mystery and enchantment—and this extraordinary collection captures every drop of its magic. Retold and illustrated by the renowned picture-book artist Jane Ray, The Little Mermaid and Other Fishy Tales features an international selection of captivating stories and poems: “The Fisherman and His Wife,” “Whalesong,” “Lobster Quadrille,” “The Ballad of John Silver,” and many more.

My Review:
I stumbled upon this book while looking for mermaid books on my public library's online catalog. As soon as I opened the book, I was amazed at the beautiful pictures! They really help breathe life into the story. I really liked this collection of stories. The font was large, so one can finish this within an hour and a half, and I found it perfectly suitable for kids as well. I also loved how diverse this collection was, and had stories from different parts of the world. Jane Ray, the author of this book, also wrote, Can You Catch A Mermaid? which is also reviewed on this blog. Her creativity really shines in her adaptation of The Little Mermaid. It was so fantastic, I actually wished that Hans Christian Anderson wrote her version over his own! This was a fantastic and short read  if you love water creatures of all kinds. I give this book (*****) 5 stars. 
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment