Monday, January 26, 2015

Mermaids: The Myths, Legends and Lore by Skye Alexander

Mermaids: The Myths, Legends and Lore by Skye Alexander
Book Type: Short Story Collection/ Information about mermaids/ Cultural diversity/ Mythology
Author: Skye Alexander
Pages: 224

Summary(goodreads.com):
The allure and mystery of mermaids has taken hold of our psyche for ages. From the Irish merrows who come on land to search for human husbands to the fake Fiji Mermaid made popular by P.T Barnum, these sea maidens (and sometimes men) can be found in folklore and mythology from every tradition in the world.

Inside this captivating collection, complete with beautiful illustrations throughout, you'll discover the myths surrounding these enigmatic beings, explore the common symbols associated with them, and learn tales of merfolk from around the world. Dive into "Mermaids" and get swept away!


My Review:
When I first picked up this book, I was a bit worried that I would become bored, especially since traditional tales was never my cup of sea salt. However, my thoughts quickly changed and I fell flukes over fins for this book! 
What I loved most about this book is how thorough it was; it really covered every aspect of the mermaid legend, and even what mermaids mean in pyschology! Cool! Ive never really thought of why mermaids have such sex appeal until I read this. Sure, they flaunt their beautiful bodies, but they are dangerous and elusive, which Alexander also explores in depth. 

Traveling The World: Different Legends From Around The Globe:

Alexander also explains that in different parts of the world, mermaids can mean good fortune or an ill omen, and this was really interesting to compare and contrast different meanings in other cultures and countries. Some of the countries you will visit are Mesopotamia (The Middle East), Great Britian, Ireland, Denmark, Russia, Africa, India, Australia and North America. I truly loved the diversity of this collection, and loved exploring what different parts of the world think about mermaids. I had never heard of some of the legends mentioned in this book, so it was refreshing to see some new mers! 

I also loved that throughout the book, Alexander has little passages about mermaid sightings. Did you know Christopher Colombus and Henry Hudson saw mermaids? Maybe it was a selkie, like me! :)


More Than Just Mers:

Here are some of the creatures besides mermaids mentioned in this book:
- Ondines     -Sirens     -Mermen     -Water Gods and Godesses     -Selkies
- Nixes 
The legend of Matthew Trewella is even in this book, which is the base of the Ingo Series!
But there is so much more! 

The Negative:
The only bad thing I have to say about this book is that if you are not interested in traditional stories or old tales and fables, even classic literature, this book might not be the choice for you. At times, the book can be a bit boring since many of the stories are similar with slight differences in plot.

This book was an awesome find for my mermaid library! I love how rich and diverse it was, and it's a great resource for those who want to learn more about different water creatures and diverse cultures. I give this book (****) 4 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie


No comments:

Post a Comment