Monday, January 13, 2014

Peabody's Mermaid by Guy and Constance Jones

Peabody's Mermaid by Guy and Constance JonesBook Type: Novel
Author: Guy and Constance Jones
Pages: 184

Summary Of Movie Version (amazon.com):
Mr. Peabody, middle-aged Bostonian on vacation with his wife in the Caribbean, hears mysterious, wordless singing on an uninhabited rock in the bay. Fishing in the vicinity, he catches...a mermaid. He takes her home and, though she has no spoken language, falls in love with her. Of course, his wife won't believe that thing in the bathtub is anything but a large fish. Predictable complications follow in rather tame fashion.

My Review:
Although my love for "Mr. Peabody and The Mermaid" the movie is endless, "Peabody's Mermaid" was slightly disappointing to me. First, what I love about the book is that the language really reflects the the time period this was written in, around the 1940's. What I also love is that both authors were able to convey images through their writing, and when I was reading this, I felt like I really was at a beach party in the Caribbean! The mermaid, named Min in the book, was very similar to the mermaid in the movie, and has the same lovable and cute personality as well! However, what I didn't really enjoy about the book was that I feel a majority of this book was based on Mr. Peabody and how he is having a midlife crisis, which makes him have a depressed personality. I wish Min the mermaid was included more in the storyline, instead of being a side character. This book was also a bit slow at some points and was a bit boring. Another note that I do want to mention to readers is that this book is very old, and may be hard to find. However, if you did love the movie, this book will definitely be an awesome addition to your mermaid collection! Try looking on eBay or Amazon for a copy! I give this book (****) 4 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie
PS: Here is a review of the movie. Click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment