Friday, August 16, 2013

Graphic Mythical Creatures: Mermaids by Gary Jeffrey (21)

Graphic Mystical Creatures: mermaids by Gary Jeffrey
Book Type: Graphic Novel
Author: Gary Jeffrey
Pages: 24

Summary:
A book on the legend of mermaids, and one graphic novel folktale.

My Review:
When I first picked this up from the library, I was really excited, since I have never read a graphic novel before, especially one about mermaids! Sadly though, I was very dissapointed. Although the contents list "The Mermaids Comb" and "Other Mermaid Tales" the book only has one mermaid tale (The Mermaids Comb). The "Other Mermaids Tale" section is about half a page of other folktales that were cut down into summaries! The first part of the book briefly, and I mean very briefly, goes over the mermaid legend, but the information can easily be found in other mermaid books. As for the actual story, the illustrations were interesting, but I found the mermaids tail be rather fat, and less sinous and graceful. I think this book had alot of potential, and could have been really cool if the auhor did more than one story in a graphic novel form. I give this book (**-***) between 2 and 3 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment