Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman (12)

Book Type: Novel
Author: Aimee Friedman
Pages: 320

Summary(amazon.com):\
Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science. . .and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate. There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship. . .and reality.



My Review:
Summer romance, hidden secrets and new friendships are found is what fills the pages of this beautifully-written book. What I enjoyed most about reading "Sea Change" is that the setting was described beautifully, and takes part mostly around the beaches of Selkie Island, which reminds me of my own childhood adventures on Fire Island, Long Island. It was actually very comforting to read before bed! I also enjoyed seeing the transformations of the characters in the book. Miranda has a lot of qualities that I saw in myself when I was her age, especially her geeky-nerd side! She is such a humble person, and it's quite cute that she doesn't even see how beautiful she is. Leo is a character I can see many female readers falling for, especially between the ages of 15-18. He has long blond hair, a well sculpted body, an adorable personality and he's a sweetheart, which makes him a perfect match for Miranda. This cover bothers me though. I don't feel as if I am seeing Leo when I look at the boy on this cover... In fact, I feel like I'm looking at Robert Pattinson!  

I do have to admit though, the many romances that play out in this book were slightly cheesy, but that is to be expected in summer romance. After all, the heat makes people do crazy things! I found the ending to be slightly confusing, and the reader is left wondering, "What's going to happen now?" However, I do think this was a beautifully written book, but I would only recommend it to readers are around the ages of 15-17. I give this book (*****) 5 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie
PS: here is the full cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment