Saturday, July 13, 2013

Something About A Mermaid by Carolyn Polese (14)

Book Type: Children's Book
Author: Carolyn Polese
Pages: 27

Summary(amazon.com):
A mermaid discovered by Janie and her family at the seashore goes home with them to their city apartment.

My Review:

I would just like to start by saying that this book is over 20 years old, and it might be out of print, so finding it could be a challenge. Try checking your local library if you found my review interesting! I really thought the mermaid written in this book was very new and original! She is tiny and small with an otter-like face and she is just so cute! When reading about her I wanted to pull her out of the story and read mermaid books to her! For a children's book, I found something a bit odd. There is one scene where the girl Janie is taking a shower with the mermaid (I guess to replicate the ocean) and shows her partially nude. In another instance, one of the characters says "damn!" I've never seen such things in children's books, but I guess the guidelines were different back then. Overall, I think this book had a really sweet storyline, and the mermaid was precious! If you can find it, give it a read! I give this book (***-****) between 3 and 4 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

1 comment:

  1. About a week or so ago it was a rainy day in Arcata CA. I was walking along and random dude pointed out some books that were left in the rain, getting ruined. One was a dean koontz. Not into the genre. Another was a libretto for Grease, probably a broadway performance. Another was a book about Tolkien's works. The other was Something About a Mermaid. Cool, methinks. Take 'em home and salvage them. Just now I Opened the Mermaid one. It's autographed, "keep reading those good books, love Carolyn Polese" I will read it but can't right this moment. It reminds me too much of a young woman I met who calls herself Ariel (like from the Hans Christian Anderson story).I almost drowned one night chasing after that chick, (beautiful!!!) Sometime later I was talking with a friend about that night and she says mermaids have piranha teeth. I'd never heard that before in the myths. Weirdest part was that when I first met her, I remember her smiling and I sear it looked like her teeth were sharp triangles

    ReplyDelete