Sunday, November 25, 2012

Suki and the Mermaid by Robert D. San Souci

Book Type: Children's Literature
Author: Robert D. San Souci
Pages: 32

Summary(amazon.com):

Sukey's new step-pa is a mean, bossy man. Every day Sukey wakes at dawn to work in the garden. All her step-pa ever does is watch her and yell if she so much as stops to fan herself. Sukey's ma calls him Mister Jones. Sukey prefers the name "Mister Hard-Times."
Son one day, Sukey runs away to her secret place by the ocean. There, she calls up Mama Jo, a beautiful black mermaid. Mama Jo's got a surprise for Sukey; a magical kingdom beneath the sea without time or pain. But it's also without people. Is it really better than the world above?

My Review:
I had heard from other people that this was a great book, however I was slightly disappointed. At first, I thought this book was about the famous African water spirit called Mammi Wata, but this is actually an African American story. This book just didn't do much for me, and it was slightly depressing. As for the art, it did have some nice elements but it wasn't my style. I give this book    (***) 3 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment