Monday, August 6, 2012

The Mermaids Cape by Margaret K. Wetterer

The Mermaids Cape by Margaret K. Wetterer
Please excuse this odd picture.
There weren't any cover shots when I googled it.


















Book Type: Children's Literature
Author: Margaret K. Wetterer
Pages: 32

Summary(amazon.com):
When he falls in love with a beautiful mermaid who drifts in too close to shore, a young Irish fisherman snatches up her shimmering cape knowing that as long as he has it the mermaid can never leave him.

My Review:
The story of The Mermaid's Cape is very much similar to the legend of the selkie, in which, a man marries a selkie, she discovers her pelt and then runs away. The only difference is, this mermaid doesn't have a tail to live under the sea, but a magic cape. Unfortunately, I was slightly disappointed with this children's book. I was expecting a new type of selkie story since I saw seals on the cover and read the first page, which explains that the setting is Ireland. The story was nothing new to me, and as I have explained, it is pretty much like the legend of the selkie. However, I really loved the illustrations. Although they were in black and white, they were very beautiful and had a lot of life to them. Another element readers might like about this book is that it wasn't written in a juvenile fashion, so adults can also enjoy this book. I recommend looking up the legend of the selkie wife before reading this though. I give this book (***) 3 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment