Monday, August 6, 2012

The Little Mermaid: Adaptation by Oriol Izquierdo

The Little Mermaid: Adaptation by Oriol Izquierdo
Book Type: Children's Book
Author: Oriol Izquierdo
Pages: 32

Summary(goodreads.com):
Retold in both Spanish and English, the universally loved story The Little Mermaid will delight a new generation of readers. The striking illustrations give a new look to this classic tale, and the bilingual text makes it perfect for both home and classroom libraries.

My Review: 
I have a mixed opinion on this classic tale that is retold and remade. First, what I really love and respect about this book is that the author stuck to the original story plot completely, even though it was worded a little more simply than what I would have liked to see. Another element I really loved about this book was that it was written in another language, one of the most common in the United States in fact. I truly believe that children nowadays really should learn a second language, whether it is a language that is apart of their culture, or a language that surrounds them on a daily basis. After each text is written in English, there is a bottom section that is retold in Spanish. Languages are taught in schools, but I believe they are not as reinforced as they should be. This is a great way for either an adult or a child to practice a language they are learning! However, I really did not like the illustrations in this book. I found them to be rather cartoon-y with bland and flat colors. In most children's books, you see elaborate artwork with vibrant colors, but the art in this book reminds me of a comic with a boring color palette. Anyways, I give this book (***)  3 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment