Monday, September 23, 2013

The Little Mermaid adapted by Anthea Bell and Illustrations by Chihiro iwasaki

Book Type: Children's Book
Author: Hans Christian Anderson adapted by Anthea Bell
Pages: 33

Summary(amazon.com):

A little sea princess, longing to be human, trades her mermaid's tail for legs, hoping to win a prince's love and earn an immortal soul for herself.

My Review:
It is a beautiful idea that so many people are reviving the classic story of "The Little Mermaid" by Hans Christian Anderson. However, I don't see much spark in this particular version. The story says it was "adapted" but it was very similar to the original text, which for me, can get a bit boring after reading the same story after a while. I also thought the illustrations were a bit bland. For a children's story, especially one so filled with magic and love should be a bit brighter and enticing, but they did fall a bit flat for me. Perhaps I just dont find water color art interesting. Overall, I give this book (***) 3 stars.
                                                               -Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment