Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hansy's Mermaid by Trinka Hakes Noble(9)

Hansy's Mermaid by Trinka Hakes NobleBook Type: Children's Book
Author: Trinka Hakes Noble
Pages: 31

Summary(amazon.com):
A storm brings a mermaid to a Dutch family that puts her to work for them; but the young son Hansy longs to help her return to her home in the sea.

My Review:

Throughout my years of exploring the depths and hidden treasures of mermaid literature, I have never come across a Dutch mermaid tale! It was pretty interesting to finally pick up something different. I thought overall the storyline was cute and had easy text that wasn't overly juvenile, so adult readers would enjoy it as well. I think the only criticisms I would have is that the story is a bit simple, and forgettable. The illustrations were also very plain, and for a mermaid book, especially one created for children, you would expect the pictures to be vibrant and beautiful, but sadly, they are not. I give this book (**-***) between 2 and 3 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie




No comments:

Post a Comment