Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Stranger Came Ashore by Mollie Hunter

A Stranger Came Ashore by Mollie Hunter
Book Type: Novel
Author: Mollie Hunter
Pages: 176

Summary(amazon.com):

A wild, stormy night . . .
A shipwreck . . .
The sudden appearance of a stranger . . .
That is how it all begins. The stranger is Finn Learson, a young and handsome man who seems to be the only survivor of the wreck. Finn Learson is charming and generous, and the Henderson family gladly give him shelter. Only young Robbie Henderson does not trust Finn Learson and his oddly unsettling secret smile. Robbie is sure that he is hiding something--but what?

My Review:
A strange, handsome stranger enchants a lovely young woman... what is he? That is what I wondered throughout the book... until Old Da starts to tell Robbie about selkies. As readers of my blog may know, I am a huge fan of selkie books, especially alluring mysteries like what Hunter has created. Every time I opened this book, I really felt like I was huddling around the fire with this family telling selkie tales. Everything was very richly detailed, and I could picture everything clearly. The only thing that slightly bothered me about this book was that even though there was quite alot of detail for a small book, I really didn't get alot of selkie-ness. The only time the reader would really pick up on it is towards the end. I would have also liked to see more of Finn Learson's side of life; I wanted him to narrate a few times when he was being sneaky, or maybe to see more selkies as small roles in the book. The ending had a really cool twist though, so I would reccomend reading this! Overall, it was a nice selkie tale with clean detail. I give this book (****) 4 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie
PS: here is another cover of the book.
There are alot of different cover versions,
but the tale is all the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment