Sunday, August 9, 2015

(9) the Selkie Girl by Janis Mackay

The Selkie GirlBook Type: Children's Book
Author: Janis Mackay
Pages: 32

Summary(goodreads.com):
Fergus lives with his father by the sea, but is lonely. He wants a friend more than anything. One day Fergus finds treasure on the beach: a beautiful fur blanket hidden in the rocks. But Fergus doesn't know that his treasure belongs to someone else - a selkie girl has lost her seal skin and can't go home to the sea without it. Will Fergus give his new friend what she needs, and risk being lonely again?

My Review:
Yay! I was so happy when I found that my local library had a new selkie children's book to explore :) After the last couple of selkie books that I've read, I was expecting another let down. However, this story was beautiful! The text is not juvenile, so adults and mer-children can enjoy it together. The illustrations were breath taking, especially of the selkie women. They really captured the alluring magic of selkies.

This book teaches young children the true value of friendship and promises, but also the lesson that if you love someone or something, set it free.
I give this book (****) 4 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment