Friday, October 4, 2013

The Mermaid And The Whale by Georgess McHargue

Sorry for the fuzzy image. This book is
a bit old, and it was hard to find
a good image!
Book Type: Children's book
Author: Georgess McHargue
Pages: 40

Summary(goodreads.com):
Recounts a mermaid's determined efforts to win the love of a whale.

My Review:
This old sea story was a very charming book. Although readers can find the tale of "The Mermaid And The Whale" in other collections of mermaid stories, I believe this one really has some salt in it, meaning one can sense the age of this classic sea shanty. McHargue has captured the magic of this old sea tale, and I felt like I was listening to an old sailor talk about a tale he heard on his travels. However, I was not crazy about the illustrations at all, especially for a story involving the sea, and a beautiful mermaid! The images look more like concept art than beautiful illustrations, and they just seemed to lack life and most of all, color. Overall, this book was okay, but it is a bit antiquated and I am unsure if children or adults would find it interesting. I give this book (***) 3 stars.
-Sirenita The Selkie

No comments:

Post a Comment